Professor Charles von Gunten
Provost, Centre for Palliative Care Studies, University of San Diego
Charles F. von Gunten, MD, PhD, FACP is the Provost, Centre for Palliative Studies at San Diego Hospice & Palliative Care, a teaching and research affiliate of the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, University of San Diegoand San Diego State University.
He is also:
- an established investigator of the National Cancer Institute
- Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Palliative Medicine
- Chairman, Test Committee, Hospice & Palliative Medicine, American Board of Medical Specialties
- Director of the largest fellowship program in palliative medicine in the US
- Medical Director of the Doris A. Howell Service, a palliative care consultation service at UCSD Health Care
- An expert for the Centre to Advance Palliative Care (CAPC)on developing hospital-based palliative care programs
- Immediate Past President of the American Association for Cancer Education
He was Co-principal of the Education for Physicians on Palliative and End-of-life Care (EPEC) Project and its revision for oncology, EPEC-Oncology based at Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL.