Research Capacity Building
In addition to the development of world-class research capability and output via the Structured Research Network, the Institute recognises the need to develop wider research capacity across the island of Ireland.
Separate awards will focus on supporting the development of research skills through programmes which help individuals of differing levels to gain research experience.
- Student Scholarship Awards will be offered to encourage an interest in research in the field of palliative care and to give students an opportunity to become familiar with research methods.
- Research mentorship awards will link palliative care professionals who lack research expertise and/or experienced researchers who lack palliative care expertise with experienced palliative care researchers.
- New Investigator Awards offer grants to new investigators, from across the island of Ireland, who have never held a grant as a principal investigator.
- Knowledge Synthesis Awards are systematic and transparent ways of combining research knowledge with information from policymakers and practitioners which will promote the use of knowledge by stakeholders.
Work Activity 6 offers:
- Improved palliative care experience for patients and families through new practices and processes as a result of research knowledge
- Critical mass of skilled palliative care researchers
- Research outputs guided by user needs
- Research knowledge translated into improvements to policy and practice